Flash Game Toolkit

The working journal for the Flash Game Toolkit. Read all about the progress and challenges I encounter in the Open Source Project. The key bits of knowledge I am hoping to gain is how to run an Extreme Programming Project and a large scale project in ActionScript. MacroMedia Flash ActionScript is a great language to prototype games in. The Flash Game Toolkit intends to build the components a board/dice/card game designer would need to put together a game.

Wednesday, July 2

FlashDoc is missing and the first card deck

The compnay that made a tool for creating help on user create components was bought by Macromedia. And now the tool is missing. Grrrr. I'm hoping to get an answer from Macromedia because the tool would have made the manual steps painless. And I'm not ready for a bunch of tedious steps. However, the tool required the action script to be "properly formatted." Without being able to find the tool, I don't know how to format my code comments to potentially work in the future. Double grrr.

Tonight I worked on creating the FlagCardControl (and actually the FlagPlayingCardControl). I have the prototype working. I still need to work on some concepts like what to do when a card starts dragging (need to move the card to the top layer so it doesn't unhighlight when it rolls over a button) and figure out how to get the valid drop zones to lightup. Probably the card should tell its deck (owner) and the deck should be able to tell on game/player which might be able to figure out all the valid destination decks. Not enough pieces done yet to get that working. So for now, the card snaps back to its original location. And, I need to finish making the card faces, as I only have the ace,two,and three of diamonds. Enough for a prototype, not enough to change the status to 100%.

Lots of cleanup and real code to write before the FlagCardControl is done. But I hope to have it and the FlagDeckControl finished by the end of the 3 day weekend. The deck control will likely have a lot more options but is essentially figuring out the best way to show a stack of cards (and hopefully adding dragged cards to the deck.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home